To understand my beliefs I must understand my opinion on beliefs. These ‘beliefs of beliefs’ are called meta-beliefs.
To first understand my meta-beliefs, I first in need to find a definition of belief that resonates with me. My favorite definition is found below.
Belief: Something that is accepted, considered to be true, or held as an opinion
If I were to rephrase the definition into a phrase more encompassing of my beliefs it would be as followed;
Belief: Concepts or ideas that one accepts as true in order to understand and/or impose will on the world.
Beliefs on beliefs
- When I observe the world my beliefs are what help me understand it.
- When I believe something, I am driven to act. (inaction is an action)
- My emotions are dependent on how both my situation and actions are aligned with my personal beliefs.
- All beliefs deserve understanding; no belief deserves respect
- If I believe someone’s beliefs are incorrect, I cannot disregard their other beliefs.
- It is not wrong to have contradictory beliefs.
- I should always challenge my beliefs
- I should only share my beliefs if I understand and accept potential consequences of expressing my belief.
- Beliefs are tools
- The strength of my belief changes depending on my environment
- My beliefs are the result of both my environment and genetics.
- I should never hate someone for their beliefs. They too are the result of environment and genetics.
- Oppressive beliefs can not be tolerated (I must not hate one for their oppressive believes, but I must prevent the intolerance from spreading).
Beliefs are complicated contradicting ideas. In time I hope to examine each bullet point so I may best understand myself. Each point I made are broad statements which need clarification.
Thank you for reading.